Monday, April 2, 2007

Same question, a millenium apart


St Francis and St Augustine, were both wealthy youth, converted at young adulthood. But that's where the comparison ends. One was Italian, the other North African. They lived nearly nine hundred years apart. One was called to serve the poor and powerless and to be poor and powerless himself. The other, to hold positions of power and influence in the new church and to marshall his powerful intellect for the sake of the kingdom. But they asked similar questions:

"Who are you, God? And who am I but your useless servant?" - St Francis

"What are you, my God ... What are you to me?" - St Augustine

As I am seeking sabbatical rest, I am compelled to return to these fundamental questions. I echo Augustine's plea:

"The heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee .... Who will allow me to find rest in you? Who will help me to let you enter my heart and intoxicate me so that I can forget my misfortunes and embrace my one and only good, yourself? What are you to me? Have mercy on me so that I might ask this.... Alas, in your mercy, Lord God, tell me what you are to me! Speak to my soul and tell me that you are my salvation."
(Confessions 1:4,4-1:5,5)



1 comment:

Scott Bessenecker said...

Hey Randy, great to see you blogging. May the quest you share with Francis and Augustine end with as much success. Both of these brothers seemed to discover a place of belonging in Christ out of which they were able to minister in word and deed. You and Tina have children (natural and spiritual) who will feed off of your discoveries in this sabbatical.

.