Wednesday, October 15, 2008

In Amman: Someone Else's History?

I wish I knew my Biblical History better. I have read it any times -- references to the Ammonites, references to David's conquests in this ancient city, references to the Trans Jordan. But I just can't seem to remember it. Its because it is someone else's history, of course. Separated by time and culture I didn't live it. But now I am here in Amman, listening to a dear brother who is also the archbishop of the Armenian church in Iraq who has seen friends die and countless others leave, listening to a Palestinian Christian activist from the West Bank suffering the daily injustices of occupation and corruption, listening to a student worker from Beirut overcoming obstacle after obstacle for his love of students. And I find myself weeping at their lives, their courage, sometimes my country's complicity, and my disconnection from it all.

And because the hand has no right to say to the foot, "I have no need of you" I am listening with new ears. Their histories, their stories, have begun to merge with mine. Current history is being made on this Biblical earth and I cannot forget it.

Peace on the Middle East. Please, God.

No comments:

.