Friday, May 25, 2007

Lost? Nevaaaaaaaah! I've a right to wander


The English take great pride in their "freedom to wander" -- a right to walk through all manner of field and farm, a right guaranteed by law. This is how we found ourselves (OK, yes, utterly lost) in the middle of some knee-high crop of something that looked rather like razors on a stalk than some thing I could cook and eat, utterly confused as to the difference between a hedge and a row, and the fact that the blue line on the map didn't seem to be where the little river we had crossed seemed to suggest it would be. We ended up in the back of some farm with a farmer looking at us like, "oh great, another set of Americans who can't read a map. When I asked if I could take this road back to the village he said, "You could, but I think they already have one there." English humor. OK, I made up that last exchange, but it could have happened that way. We did eventually make it back to our house on the village square.

Wandering is what sabbatical is all about. Yes, we've wandered through villages, under the spires of Oxford, throught the bookstacks at the Bodleian Library, in and out of concerts and lectures and exhibitions. Tina and Deborah have wandered picking Elder Fowers and later mixed their own Elder Flower Cordials. When we wander, we place ourselves in a position that anticipates serendipitous events -- graces from a loving God who likes to jump out from behind a bush or bookstack and say "surprise"! You have to get yourself lost every once in a while -- not in control -- to experience these.




Our friend Geetha took us to Dorchester to visit the village and cathedral. What beautiful days we have had with Geetha and her husband Venu while here.



Their daughter Sangeetha hosted us at the Trinity College High Table; for 500 years students have dined here. They recited the grace in Latin.


ONLY SIX DAYS LEFT IN ENGLAND
Already I am savoring the last moments here. I will miss the honey-sweet fragrance and soft steel blue of the Ceonothis bushes, the white lace of the Blackthorne tree, the Van Gogh-like yellow of the vast Rapeseed fields, the soft breeze throught the stained glass windows of the Bodleian Library Upper Reserve, the lunchtime recitals at Hertford College, and all the bitters of the Kings Arms, the Eagle and Child, and the Turf. I wan't to remember the freedom to hold in my hands precious, crumbling manuscripts from the 17th century, the treasures to be discovered because of the luxery of time and the priviledge of a Bodleian card. I want to remember the open handed graciousness of our hosts, the Lakes, as they have welcomed us as temporary members of their family and let us dine at their table and partake in the rhythms of their lives. I want to remember so many who took initiative in our lives, who drove us around, who cooked for us, who included us. We do look forward to coming home, but I will also be sad.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Sounds like an awesome experience Randy and Tina. I love the library stories and descriptions. Safe travels home!

Anonymous said...

hey!! love to read about england at an internet cafe in guatemala..sounds like we both are experiencing alot of the same refreshment from god. love you guys.... -j and h

Unknown said...

Hey you two...I'm up to my own wandering...southern Spain, then the desert monasteries of Egypt, and now Scotland where I'm currently on Iona. Glad for your blog and the chance to keep up with you. I home by the weekend.

.