Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Mooned by English sheep






"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me lie down in green pastures, He leadeth me beside still waters ... he restoreth my soul ..." (Ps 23:1-3). This blurry one seems to be saying, "Look, dummy, I don't care about you and your camera, and the bus that's waiting for you. Here's what I care about: grass, green grass. You ought to slow down enough to try it sometime." Our host has noticed that we tend to eat standing up, and thinks it's a symptom of our hectic lifestyle. She may be right. In some ways this sabbatical is about turning our irreverent backsides to the world for a while, putting our mouths to the ground and chewing.




GET THEE TO A NUNNERY - Tina and I walked from the village of Eynsham to Oxford along the Thames River, a journey of about 8 miles. After a stop at The Trout Inn for refreshment, we explord the ruins of the Godstow Abbey (nunnery), the ruins of which are nearly 1,000 years old. Tina felt right at home.



We are blessed in the city, we are blessed in the field, we are blessed when we come and when we go....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can just put your backsides on a seat occassionally...or lay yourselves down in a grassy field. Fun to be able to keep up with you two.

Scott Bessenecker said...

Glad you are finding green pastures there for your soul. Thanks for keeping us all up to snuff on your travels. How about sharing some good English idioms or phrases that have charmed you (since you say you've not heard "cheerio").

.