Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Two Triolet and a Silly Haiku

Here are two 20th century Triolets that I came across in my research that I had to write down. Triolet is a French poetry form, begun in the 14th century, that repeats the first couplet at the end, and the first line of the couplet in the middle, and that contains a specific rhyming pattern.

This first one is from an English Lieutenant who fought in the trenches of France in WWI, and wrote a book of triolet from there. This poem is his dedication:

Because you once were good to me
My Lord, accept these trench-vignettes
And may you like each jeu d' esprit
Because you once were good to me
But if you don't, just think: "well, he
At least acknowledges his debts,"
Because you once were good to me
My Lord, accept these trench-vignettes.

- Lt. CGL Du Cann, from Triolets from the Trenches, 1917

And this one from an Oxford man, who writes with the wit and comfort of his class:

Christ said, "Blessed are the poor"
Matthew slyly adds "in spirit",
But in spite of him I'm sure
Christ said "Blessed are the poor."
This the rich could not endure,
So they bribed the saints to queer it.
Christ said, "Blessed are the poor."
Matthew slyly adds, "in spirit."

- Oswald Couldrey, from Triolets and Epigrams, 1948.

And here is a silly Haiku that I wrote for my 10 year old friend Laura:

Dove in the downspout
Her spring nest perched at roof's edge,
Though up high, lays low.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK. I admit it. I was laughing!

Debs

.